02 October 2006

An inspired weekend

This past weekend was one of those. You know, the kind when you just don't have the energy to get up to anything. Aside from having a few friends over for dinner, going out for dinner and breakfast respectively and a Sunday evening church meeting, I did nothing. No hiking, no dancing, no working, no photography, no gym visits, no theatre or movies, nothing. Instead I watched TV (and ate). And boy, am I good at lying on a couch! So, here are some comments on what I saw:

1. The Project Runway finale (repeat). Says a friend, Brad,* "If I ever met Heidi Klum, I would lie on the floor and drool." Hmmm, well, what made me drool, were the frocks. Though it is not my discipline, it is always inspiring to see other designers at work. (P.S. I totally rooted for Chloe Dao, the winner. She was the least diva-esque of them all.)









* Name has been changed to protect identity.

2. I Capture The Castle is a film based on a 1948 novel by the same name, written by Dodie Smith. With a tagline like: "I love, I have loved, I will love," you can imagine the genre. 17-year old Cassandra and her eccentric family live in a decaying English castle. Her father, played by Bill Nighy, hasn't written a word in 12 years despite the enormous success of his first novel. Her stepmother is a nudist. The rest of the film evolves around love triangles. What intrigued me, though, was Mr. Nighy's character's writer's block. It's interesting how sometimes emotional scars can be the muse of a great story, but in other cases it can have the opposite effect. The mind is a powerful thing. (Cool quote: "It's a story about a boy learning to read and is symbolic of understanding.")

3. In keeping with the film theme, I'd like to introduce you to the hugs man, Juan Mann. Here is an article, but watch this clip first. There is an interview on You Tube.

4 comments:

M.E. said...

wow...so cool...as klere mooi is is dit darem maar mooi...
go check these out...
http://niceshirt.blogspot.com
&
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com

Linka said...

Hey M
Thanks for the Juan Mann story. It put a smile on my face. I hope they dont take it too far though, one man offering free hugs cool, mass hugging fests - kinda creepy. Maybe that's just me.

Margie said...

Hey Em, cool new blog! Definitief een wat onder my bookmarks gaan kom. The Sartorialist is amazing... Wow!

I agree, Links, it could get out of hand! But it's a cool concept, hey? Kinda public arty... I like it. :)

arcadia said...

those dresses are beautiful...